Spumante and More

What’s the first thing you think of when you hear Italian Sparkling? Prosecco right? Well yes, it is the most commonly made sparkling wine in Italy and it’s made in Veneto. It’s fairly distinctive in style, light body and refreshing and lighter bubbles. It’s usually made with at least 85% Glera grapes, and they are allowed to blend certain ones in to make up the other 15%.veneto italy map

When you buy Prosecco, you’ll see different designations on the label, here’s a quick run-down: Superiore di Cartizze – the “Grand Cru” of Prosecco; Prosecco Superiore DOCG – Prosecco Conegliano Valdobbiadene Superiore DOCG can only be made in the Treviso province of Veneto on the hills between the towns of Conegliano and Valdobbiadene, and Asolo Prosecco Superiore DOCG, produced near the town of Asolo; Prosecco DOC – most commonly available; and Prosecco Col Fondo – a style refermented in the bottle but not disgorged (like the others), as the wines are left on their lees (dead yeast cells – don’t worry, this is normal).


the best pairing of spicy salami with rosato

So now that you know this, did you know that there are different styles of Prosecco? Some will have notes of (but not all): soft tree fruits, minerality, flowers, citrus and some are unfiltered and more complex. This is all true! Admit it, you’re intrigued about Prosecco now, aren’t you?!

At a recent event during the Vancouver Int’l Wine Festival – I got to taste different sparkling wine styles along with appetizers ( created by The Dirty Apron ) to pair with them. Read more about my delicious discovery…



Bottega Gold

Prosecco DOC Brut made in the town of Valdobbiadene in the province of Treviso. A softer tree fruit style with minerality – this was quite nice. The Rosé Pinot Nero was the second best sparkling rosé I had!!!! Creamy bubbles, yet crisp and refreshing. Made in Oltrepò Pavese (Lombardia in Northern Italy).




Gran Cuvée Rosé Spumante Brut is made in Abruzzo (central Italy) was delicious made from Aglianico grapes – think a mix of ripe red berries with a fresh finish (one of my favourite Rosés). The Gran Cuvée Bianco is made from Cococciola grapes and was nicely crisp (think lime) with a hint of perfume.



Prosecco DOC had notes of apples and stone fruits (like peaches) along with subtle floral notes. It was simple. The Pinot Grigio was typically refreshing and crisp with a citrus note like lemon.



This extra dry Prosecco Treviso DOC from Valdobbiadene was one of my favourites, with stone fruits and a hint of flowers, it was nicely integrated.


grilled polenta with warm rabbit ragout was a delightful match for Prosecco


Masseria Altemura

Rosamaro Brut is made in Puglia (gasp! it’s not from Veneto?!) in Southern Italy from the grape Negroamaro.  This Brut style was crisp with a nice balance of red berries and just a touch of flowers. Quite lovely.



Villa Sandi

Prosecco Treviso ‘Il Fresco’ DOC  was very finessed, smooth with a balance of minerals and citrus notes and just a hint of flowers. One of my favourites.


Giusti Wine

Cuvée Giusti Spumante Extra Brut is made from Chardonnay and Pinot Noir and was a delightful surprise. Made from the area of Montella and Asolo, this was the one Prosecco that had a hint of yeast on the palate (like champagne notes) yet still crisp and refreshing.



 Il Prosecco were perfumed with a hint of melon, softy crisp. Prosecco DOC Treviso Brut was the same with a hint of dry herbs like oregano.



Tenute Piccini

Memoro Rosato is a blend of 40 % Negroamaro , 30% Montepulciano ,20% Nero d’Avola, 10% Merlot with notes of grapes, strawberry, it was fruit forward with a nice body. The Prosecco DOC Extra Dry was easy-going with fresh flowers and citrus.


Beato Bartolomeo Bregase

Rosa di Sera Extra Dry is made from Glera and Marzemina grapes. It was perfumed, and soft on the palate.


Try some different Prosecco from your favourite wine store, have fun with it & keep exploring wines from around the world!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s