Once upon a time in Kelowna, I had the opportunity to taste some wine from a group of 4 entrepreneurs. They’ve come together to form an alliance called Northern Lights Wine Group. How smart are they?! They each have their own wine portfolio and business, but together they have more marketing power on getting out there in front of more people!
Now, we just need more good stores in the Okanagan to pick up some of their wines!!
Here’s the quick and dirty on what I tasted from each of them.
Meet Vicky Ainley of Vino Allegro Wine Imports Inc.
Here are the wines that were stand outs!
1. 2018 Bodegas Menade Rueda Verdejo (ORGANIC), Spain – it went through mlf and it is super cool! Notes of floral notes, candied lemon, herbal, grassy, passionfruit.
2. Domaine De La Tour Boisee Old Vines Carignan, France – dense with great tannins, super yummy.
3. Rocca Bernarda Refosco, Italy – spicy, a really cool wine.
4. 2018 Gourmandise IGT Mediterrenee Rosé, France – delightfully fresh and available at Marquis Wine Cellars
5. 2018 Petite Note Bleue IGT Mediterrenee Rosé, France – crisp and refreshing, a blend of Grenache and Rolle and available at Marquis Wine Cellars
6. 2018 Bandol Rose Bastide De La Ciselette Lou Pigna, France – notes of raspberry, orange peel, melon and white flowers, blend of Cinsault, Mourvèdre and Grenache.
7. 2016 Purato Nero D’Avola Organic, Italy – soo good and great value!
8. 2015 Era, Bianco Toscana IGT, Italy – 70% Trebbiano with skin contact, very unique with cool complexity.
Meet Brock Guthrie of Boutique Wines
Out of his portfolio – I narrowed it down to 4 stand outs for me!
1. 2018 Luis Pato Vinhas Velhas Branco, Portugal – so smooth and refreshing, yes!
2. 2016 Voyager Estates Estate Chardonnay, Margaret River, Australia – vibrant, citrus driven with hints of nuts and spice.
3. 2015 Giuseppe Cortese Barbera D’Alba Morassina, Italy – bright and delicious, elegant.
4. 2016 Massena The Moonlight Run, Barossa Valley, Australia – “One-third each Grenache, Mataro and Shiraz, the 2016 The Moonlight Run Mataro-Grenache-Shiraz finds a delicious balance between ripe fruit, savory nuance and mouthwatering freshness. Cherry and raspberry fruit leads the way in this medium to full-bodied red, framed by silky tannins and dressed up with delicate notes of rosemary, thyme and rose petals. It should drink well for 4-5 years.” 91 Points – Joe Czerwinski – The Wine Advocate
Meet Paul Watkin of The Seacove Group
I chose 2 of his wines that were stand outs for me!
1. Bric Cenciurio, 2017 Roero Arneis DOCG, Italy – smooth and fresh, a great alternative white wine to try!
2. Domaine le Colombier 2014 AOC Vacqueyras Vieilles Vignes Rouge, France – a blend of Grenache 80% and Mourvèdre from 65 year old vines. Aged in concrete. Delicious! The 2015 was just awarded 94 points from Wine Advocate.
Meet Elizabeth & Peter Crews of New World Wines
Here are some stand outs for me…
1. 2008 Vollereaux Champagne Cuvee Marguerite Brut, France – Mostly Pinot Noir…. my kind of Champagne – very finessed! “A blend of 75% Pinot Noir and 25% Chardonnay, this is the top wine from Vollereaux. It is dry and crisp, although with ripe fruits in the background. Just becoming mature, this is a wine to hold for another couple of years and drink from 2018.” 91 points Roger Voss, Wine Enthusiast
2. 2018 Domaine de L’Amauve Le Rose D’Yvonne, France – A delicious rosé! “Carefully selected Grenache Syrah grapes were processed in the traditional Provencale method to craft a refreshing rosé wine with a pale pinkish hue, a fresh acidity and supple berry flavours. Christian named this cuvée after his maternal grandmother Yvonne who loved to enjoy a good rosé.”
3. 2017 Basel Cellars Chenin Blanc, Washington – such a great crisp alternative to a Sauv Blanc and it’s from Washington!
4. 2014 Reininger Merlot, Washington – incredibly smooth, a beautiful find from Washington.
5. 2015 Basel Cellars Claret, Washington – beautiful balance to this wine, and a not so common grape!
6. 2017 Domaine Juliette Avril Cote Du Rhone, France – a blend of Grenache, Syrah and Mourvèdre (GSM) – LOVE!
7. 2013 Vistaflores Vinedos Altamira Valley Malbec, Argentina – delicious, a must get for bbq’s!
Until next time, here are 4 BC companies bringing in some fantastic wines for all of us to enjoy!
Keep exploring wines from around the world. Cheers!